Do you give yourself some genuine compliments when you wake-up to start your day? I know it sounds very corny. It’s not easy to admit that there are days when I am not very nice to myself first thing in the morning. Those mental thoughts that I whisper are not very pretty at all. Why would I say such things to myself when I would never consider repeating such thoughts to any other female friend of mine. The answer is quite simple. As humans we can be incredibly uncompassionate with ourselves. It’s so important to change this way of thinking about who we are and how we may think that we look according to the perspectives of others.
To admit that I am not very self-nurturing in this way isn’t very positive and yet I like to think that I am an 80 - 20 girl, meaning that I am positive about 80 % of the time and the other 20%, well you get the point, I can be very unflattering to myself. We are so incredibly quick to criticize ourselves. We find it so easy to look at what is not right and only focus on what is wrong. We have no qualms about broadcasting this information to others. Broadcasting and projecting negative views of myself is something that I used to do quite a bit, but I’ve learned over the years just how cruel this is.
As a Pisces my traits are considered to be imaginative, kind and compassion, intuitive, sensitive and self-less but on the dark side, people in my horoscope zone can also be escapists when things go wrong, idealistic, weak-willed, oversensitive, pessimistic and lazy. I believe that I may have tendencies leaning toward the darker side mentioned above at times, but as another birthday approaches, I am realizing more and more that we all have both positive and negative traits. Being mindful of this fact allows me to be more forgiving with myself if negative traits or poor self-talk enters my headspace.
Gracefully letting go of the past, those memories and things of my youth, and letting go of negativity is an important practice. This is why I want to flip it upside down. Liking who and what you see in the mirror every single morning that you wake up is so important. It’s about going beyond skin deep and connecting to that warmth, kindness, and radiance beneath the surface.
What is it that you like about yourself? When was the last time that you looked at yourself in the mirror and gave yourself a compliment? Although it may sound hokey at first, you would be doing yourself a great service if you did. As you treat yourself with loving kindness, you will etch messages in your brain and you’ll walk taller, take up more space, move differently, look and feel more confident. You’ll work on balancing an internal harmony and increasing positive body awareness.
Aim to look at yourself with sensitivity and compassion each morning. If you find this challenging, just start small at first. Maybe you might look at your belly with loving kindness knowing that those stretch marks gave you gorgeous twin boys or those green eyes are uniquely yours and you love to play them up with dramatic make-up. The goal is to sprout more positive praises for yourself so that your ‘zoom in’ lens will allow you to bring about more of whatever it is that you focus on. You will think differently and begin to embody those thoughts. So why not play around, flirt a little with yourself and practice self-love.
Scan your body from the crown of your head to the tips of your toes and provide yourself with genuine compliments. Practice gratitude for the miracle of your body and consider all of the minutia that goes unnoticed. See, feel and appreciate what your body does every day.
Be aware, give yourself some genuine compliments and strive to be well.
Mother, wife, educator,mindfulness promoter and yoga enthusiast. Believes in the power of visualization.